Thursday, January 26, 2012

Sunday nights at Mike's Corner Pocket..

In March of 2009 I had quit my salary position at a medical school in northeast Missouri and moved back to Columbia to run down my dreams. Walk The Plank was on the back burner and I wasn't even sure I was going to keep booking shows. I remember talking with Eric one morning while I was walking my dogs downtown and discussing the future of WTP (a few months before we put together the Quincy chapter).


Around that same time I had gotten a break, there was a venue in Jefferson City, MO (Mike's Corner Pocket) that was open to doing shows on Sundays. Here are images of those shows (in chronological order):


Fail Inc. played a TON of shows for us in Jefferson City. Good guys and a HOLE lot of fun!!




Joe Buck loves playing in Jefferson City..






Captain Sean Wheeler on tour with Joe Buck.




Doc Heet representin' America!





Joe Buck and Cole of Fail Inc.

















Ando Ehlers introducing Jeff City to Death Polka!



Henry Berger of SS Web



Evan Mitchell One Man Band (now performing a different act called, The Lone Rooster)





The first time the Goddamn Gallows rolled through they were brought in by .357 String Band member, Jayke Orvis. He was fresh out of 357, performing with the Goddamn Gallows and soon to release his solo album. This show was super bowl sunday in February of 2010 and my first introduction to the Goddamn Gallows but it certainly would not be my last. They made quite an impression. I set up shows in this area for them up until their recent switch to Atomic Music Group. They are now on tour with Reverend Horton Heat.

Mikey Classic doing his strange throat yodle thing..


Avery




Fishgutz


Baby Genius


This image is from their second and final show at Mike's Corner Pocket before it's closing. It was also chosen as the image for the back of their album Ghost Of Th' Rails (vinyl edition). Only three members performed that night. It was a dark time for them. Drummer was jailed and awaiting trial in Connecticut. It all worked out. Trumped up charges were finally dropped.


Columbia based, Hooten Hallers


Joe Buck performed the first and final Walk The Plank show at Mike's Corner Pocket. The place has since been remodeled into a sports bar and the stage was torn down. I get bummed out every time I walk by.





2 comments:

  1. Great shit, dude. The history and the photos. Keep up the good work! Mofo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jody! I feel like there's a hole six years deep and I can't start building with the present until I fill the hole first. It's pretty overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete