Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Transition

So WTP had been around for about a year doing mostly metal shows and I was totally comfortable where we were at. I had recently starting doing some work with a booking agency out of Memphis, TN and he sent me a band called The .357 String Band. The show was a flop. I tried to put these guys on as the headlining act and by the time they went on to play there were only a handful of us there to watch.

(In my defense this was promoted well. I had gotten them a radio interview at the local college station and everything. It was a Thursday night and in Kirksville that means "drinkin' with Lincoln" $5 bottomless cup across the street from the show).





These guys killed it though! They played traditional bluegrass instruments, really fast and with punk rock attitudes. They even played a Misfits cover. I think it was I want your skull. The guys were really cool too. My wife, Maggie had made 2 pots of chili earlier than evening (one vegan and one w/ meat) so we invited them to come stay with us, eat some chili, & drink some beers. From then on it was like family coming to visit whenever they would come to town.

That show turned me on to an entire underground of great music that was happening and neither me or Walk The Plank will be the same after that (thankfully).

No comments:

Post a Comment